Untraced or Uninsured Drivers

If the other driver leaves the scene without stopping to give details - you  can still claim. Even if the car cannot be traced you may be able to claim some or all of your losses from the Motor Insurers' Bureau, who also deal with claims against uninsured drivers.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau will expect you to have already tried to trace the driver / insurer concerned by reporting the accident to the police, to your own insurance company and making enquiries with the registered owner of the vehicle.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau will only deal with claims registered with them within 9 months of the accident. They will also expect the accident to have been reported to the police within 5 days of the accident.