Reporting an Accident at Work

Any injury at work - including minor injuries - should be recorded in your employer's 'accident book'. All employers (except for very small companies)  must keep an accident book. It's mainly for the benefit of employees, as it provides a useful record of what happened in case you need time off work or need to claim compensation later on. But recording accidents also helps your employer to see what's going wrong and take action to stop accidents in future.

Your employer must report serious work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents to the Incident Contact Centre of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The reporting must be done by your employer, but if you're involved it's a good idea to make sure it's been reported.